Effective May 27, 2016
What Information Do We Collect?
Information We Receive from Third Parties: We may combine the information we collect from you with information that we receive about you from other sources, such as public databases, providers of demographic information, joint marketing partners, social media platforms, people with whom you are connected on social media platforms, and other third parties.
What Information Do We Collect Automatically From Your Device and How Do We use It?
We and our service providers may collect information automatically from your device in a variety of ways including:
Through your browser or device: Certain information is collected by most browsers or automatically through your device, such as your Media Access Control (MAC) address, computer type (Windows or Macintosh), screen resolution, operating system name and version, device manufacturer and model, language, Internet browser type and version and the name and version of the Services you are using. We use this information to ensure that the Services function properly.
Through your use of an app: When you download and use one of our apps, we and our service providers may track and collect app usage data, such as the date and time the app on your device accesses our servers and what information and files have been downloaded to the app.
Using pixel tags and other similar technologies: We may use pixel tags (also known as web beacons and clear GIFs) to, among other things, track the actions of users of the Services and our email recipients, measure the success of our marketing campaigns and compile statistics about usage of the Services and response rates.
Using Adobe Flash technology (including Flash Local Shared Objects ("Flash LSOs")) and other similar technologies: We may use Flash LSOs and other technologies to, among other things, collect and store information about your use of the Services. If you do not want Flash LSOs stored on your computer, you can adjust the settings of your Flash player to block Flash LSO storage using the tools contained in the Website Storage Settings Panel. You can also control Flash LSOs by going to the Global Storage Settings Panel and following the instructions (which may include instructions that explain, for example, how to delete existing Flash LSOs (referred to "information" on the Macromedia site), how to prevent Flash LSOs from being placed on your computer without your being asked, and how to block Flash LSOs that are not being delivered by the operator of the page you are on at the time). Please note that setting the Flash Player to restrict or limit acceptance of Flash LSOs may reduce or impede the functionality of some Flash applications.
IP Address: Your IP Address is a number that is automatically assigned to the computer that you are using by your Internet Service Provider. An IP Address may be identified and logged automatically in our server log files whenever a user accesses the Services, along with the time of the visit and the page(s) visited. Collecting IP Addresses is standard practice and is done automatically by many websites, applications and other services. We use IP Addresses for purposes such as calculating usage levels of the Services, helping diagnose server problems, and administering the Services. We may also derive your approximate location from your IP Address.
Precise Real-Time Location Information: We may collect precise, real-time information about the location of your mobile device by, for example, using satellite, cell phone tower or WiFi signals. We may use your device's location to provide you with personalized location-based services and content, including marketing communications. You may be permitted to allow or deny the use of your device's location by managing your location services preferences through your device settings.
Interest-Based Advertising: We may use third-party advertising companies to serve advertisements to you when you access and use the Services and other websites, apps or online services, based on information relating to your access to and use of the Services and other websites, apps or online services on any of your devices. To do so, these companies may use various technologies, including the placement or recognition of a unique cookie on your browser (including through use of pixel tags). They may also use these technologies, along with information they collect about your online use, to recognize you across the devices you use, such as a mobile phone and a laptop. These companies use the information they collect, as well as information received from third parties, to serve ads for us and others about goods and services that may be of interest to you when you are on the Services or on third-party properties. If you would like more information about this practice, please visit http://www.networkadvertising.org/managing/opt_out.asp and http://www.aboutads.info/. You may also visit those sites to opt out of these advertising practices in desktop and mobile browsers on the particular device on which you are accessing this Privacy Statement. You may download the AppChoices app at www.aboutads.info/appchoices to opt out in mobile apps.
How Do We Use Your Information?
In addition to using your information to deliver the programs, services, products, or information you request, and for the purposes described above, we may also use it:
- to provide customer support;
- To send administrative information to you, such as information about the Services and our terms, conditions and policies;
- to deliver marketing communications that may be of interest to you;
- to permit you to participate in polls, surveys, promotions, or other interactive features, such as chat features, and to administer these activities;
- to personalize your experience and better tailor content and offers to you;
- to facilitate social sharing functionality;
- to allow you to send messages to another person through the Services;
- to help us, our subsidiaries, affiliates, and business partners better understand our audiences, evaluate user interest in the Services, improve the Services, and perform other market research activities;
- for our business purposes, such as data analysis; audits; monitoring and prevention of fraud, infringement, and other potential misuse of the Services; modifying the Services; determining the effectiveness of our promotional campaigns; and operating and expanding our business activities; and
- as we believe to be necessary or appropriate: (a) under applicable law, including laws outside your country of residence; (b) to comply with legal process; (c) to respond to requests from public and government authorities, including public and government authorities outside your country of residence; (d) to enforce our terms and conditions; (e) to protect our operations or those of any of our affiliates; (f) to protect our rights, privacy, safety or property, and/or that of our affiliates, you or others; and (g) to allow us to pursue available remedies or limit the damages that we may sustain.
We may use information that does not personally identify you for any purpose, except where we are required to do otherwise under applicable law.
When and to Whom Do We Disclose Your Information?
The information we collect from and about you may be disclosed:
- to our subsidiaries and affiliates within the Novartis global group, for the purposes described in this Privacy Statement;
- to third parties that provide services to us, such as those that fulfill requests for information, answer calls, administer programs or projects, assist in research and development, or deliver advertisements or other communications;
- to business partners who offer products or services jointly with Alcon or with our subsidiaries or affiliates;
- to permit a third party business partner to deliver marketing communications or products that may be of interest to you, subject to any choices you have expressed;
- to identify you to any person to whom you send messages through the Services;
- to any person you direct us to contact, such as your designated caregiver(s);
- by you, on message boards, chat, profile pages, blogs, and other services to which you post information and materials. Because any information you post may become public, we urge you to be very careful when deciding to disclose any information on or through the Services;
- as required by law, such as to law enforcement, to health authorities to report possible adverse events, during government inspections or audits, as ordered or directed by courts or other governmental agencies, or in order to comply with a subpoena or other legal process;
- when we believe in good faith that disclosure is necessary to protect legal rights or the security or integrity of our operations or the Services or those of any of our subsidiaries or affiliates; protect your safety or the safety of others; investigate fraud, a breach of contract, or a violation of law; respond to a government request; or allow us to pursue available remedies or limit the damages that we may sustain; and
- to third parties, advisors, and other entities to the extent reasonably necessary for development of or to proceed with the negotiation or completion of a corporate or commercial transaction, including a reorganization, merger, acquisition, joint venture, sale or other disposition of all or a portion of our business, assets, or stock (including in connection with any bankruptcy or similar proceedings).
We may disclose information that does not personally identify you for any purpose, except where we are required to do otherwise under applicable law.
The Services are controlled and operated by us from the United States and are not intended to subject us to the laws or jurisdiction of any state, country or territory other than that of the United States. Your information may be stored and processed in any country where we have facilities or in which we engage service providers, and, by using the Services, you consent to the transfer of information to countries outside of your country of residence, including the United States, which may have data protection rules that are different from those of your country.
Where you have elected to participate in one of our programs or services or to receive marketing communications from us, we offer you the ability to discontinue your participation or to opt out of receiving those communications in the communication itself, or you can contact us at: Alcon Laboratories, Inc., 6201 South Freeway, Fort Worth, TX 76134, Attention: Privacy Office, or call us at (800) 862-5266.
We do not currently respond to web browser "do not track" signals or other mechanisms that provide a method to opt out of the collection of information across websites or other online services.
If you are a resident of California, under 18 and a registered user of the Services, you may contact us in accordance with the “How to Contact Us” section below to remove content or information that you have posted to the Services. Please note that your request does not ensure complete or comprehensive removal of the content or information, as, for example, some of your content may have been reposted by another user.
We seek to use appropriate technical, administrative, and physical safeguards to protect the information collected through the Services. Unfortunately, no organization can guarantee the absolute security of electronic information, especially information transmitted over the Internet. If you have reason to believe that your interaction with us is no longer secure, please immediately notify us in accordance with the “How to Contact Us” section below.
The Services are not directed to children under the age of thirteen (13), and we do not knowingly collect personal information from such children.
Accessing and Updating Your Information
We encourage you to update the personal information you provide to us to help us continue to provide information that best meets your needs. You may be able to access and update this information through the member or account section of the Service for which you registered, or you can contact us by writing to us at Alcon Laboratories Inc., 6201 South Freeway, Fort Worth, TX 76134, Attention: Privacy Office, or call us at (800) 862-5266. For your protection, we may only implement requests with respect to the personal information associated with the particular email address that you use to send us your request, and we may need to verify your identity before implementing your request.
Links to Third Party Websites
The Services may contain links to third-party services that are not under our control. We are not responsible for the collection and use of your information by such services, and we encourage you to review their privacy policies. In addition, we are not responsible for the information collection, use, disclosure, or security practices of other organizations, such as Facebook, Apple, Google, Microsoft, RIM, or any other app developer, app provider, social media platform provider, operating system provider, wireless service provider, or device manufacturer, including in connection with any information you disclose to such other organizations through or in connection with the Services.
Pursuant to the Texas Health and Safety Code, Sec. 181.154, please be advised that if Alcon receives any information that identifies you and relates to your past, present or future physical or mental health, healthcare or payment for your healthcare, such information may be subject to electronic disclosure by such means as file transfers or email.
How to Contact Us